Tuesday, June 17, 2014

That Time of Year Again

We are in Gulf Shores for a week. This is like our sixth or seventh year in a row to come here with our small group from church. Two families have moves out of the Memphis area, but still came for our trip. It's funny how with good friends you can just pick up like you saw them yesterday. There are 15 of us here this year. We have a great house right on the beach. We consider the beach in front of our house "our beach" and have two tailgate tents up all week. 
I have decided that this may be my favorite week of the entire week each year for a couple of reasons. First, spending time with friends so close we really consider them family is a huge blessing. I'm so thankful that God brought these people into our lives. We sure do miss the Gosas and Zermenos though. (The Gosas live in Tuscaloosa and the Zermenos live in Denver now.) it also makes me realize we need to spend more time with the Worths and Dowtys when we are back at home. 
Second, I love this week because it's a week of nothing. No homework, practices, games, crazy schedules, work, etc.  Just wake up, eat breakfast, go to beach, eat lunch, go back to beach, eat dinner, and hang out. How perfect is that? Just time to enjoy family and friends.  If you've ever seen our family calendar, you know every year we NEED this trip. Like everyone else, we are just busy a lot. 
We've had perfect weather so far which is great. I find myself sitting under the tent or umbrella more than in years past. Probably because I know how bad the sun can be...two places of skin cancer last summer stays on my mind when I'm in the sun. I make sure we are all coated in sunscreen but we do enjoy being outside though. 
I've also been thinking lately how grateful I am that I have such a great family. Yes, occasional arguments between the kids but I think that's normal. Every day I am thankful that the stupid cancer is out of Chris. It makes me so happy to see him with Caleb and Carley. He's such a great dad! (He probably won't like me sharing all that-but who knows of anyone actually reads my blog. Ha ha!)
Anyway, tomorrow we are renting a pontoon boat with a slide and getting a tube and headed out! We've done this a couple of times in the past and it's fun. The men head out Thursday morning to deep sea fish. If they catch anything, we will have fish tacos for dinner. If not, I have to figure out something else to cook as it is our family's turn that night. We've had chicken and shrimp, BBQ nachos, and mexican night so far...it's all been delicious!
It's a great time and I love every second of being here! I'm so thankful to God for my life. 

No comments: